What better way to show off your love for seagrass and photography than at the WSC Photo Competition? This competition aims to showcase different aspects of seagrass science and management through the lens of researchers. This year, photos can be entered into two categories:
Most Informative Photo
Science is not always pretty, but that doesn’t mean we don’t love what we do. This category celebrates the hard work and ingenuity that goes on behind the scenes, so submit your unglamorous photos of field work, experimental set ups, and data analyses. Beauty is not a criterion!
Most Beautiful Photo
Beautiful photos are able to transcend barriers of understanding and can help make science more accessible to a wider audience. Send us your favourite photo that best communicates the beauty of seagrass.
The Judging Panel will shortlist up to 50 photos based on originality, creativity, clarity and overall impact, good composition, focus, aesthetics and technical excellence of the photos. The selected photos will be exhibited at WSC2018, during which all participants will be able to vote for their photo of choice. The winning entries will be announced during the conference dinner and will also be posted on the World Seagrass Association website. In addition to bragging rights, winners stand to win attractive prizes.
Who can participate:
This competition is open to registered participants of WSC2018.
- Each contestant may submit a maximum of 3 photographs per category of high resolution photographs (at least 2000 pixels in JPEG format on the longest side of the photograph). Please indicate the category each photograph is submitted to.
- Each photo must be accompanied by a short catchy caption to describe it. Details about where and when it was taken, and the name of the photographer must also be included.
- All photos submitted must be related to seagrass.
- The photographs in their entirety must be the original work of the entrant.
- Photographs that have been entered for or that have won any prize in any other competition will not be eligible for this contest. Photos that have been used in publications or exhibitions are also not eligible.
- Photos must be taken with digital cameras only.
Entries should be sent via e-mail to email@example.com with the subject heading “WSC2018 Photo Competition”. The deadline for submission of the photographs is 30th April 2018.
- The panel also have the right to change the category of the submitted photos.
- The organizers maintain the sole right to select the photos that will be exhibited in Singapore.
- WSA reserves the right to use any and all photos submitted for the competition for future communications material (printed information material, dissemination of information through social media and on the WSA website).
- The printed photos may be used in the silent auction during the WSC and ISBW 2018. The proceeds will go to Evamaria Koch Student Travel fund, that supports students to attend ISBWs.